In the event of an explosion in the building, take the following actions:
- Immediately take cover under tables, desks, or other objects that will give projection against flying glass and debris (in case there are secondary explosions)
- After the effects of the explosion have subsided, call the police (9) 9-1-1. Use a cell phone if the land line is down Give them the following information:
- Area where explosion occurred.
- Cause of explosion, if known.
BEFORE YOU HANG UP, MAKE SURE THE 9-1-1 DISPATCHER HAS ALL THE INFORMATION NEEDED.
- Activate the building’s alarm system
- Evacuate the area as soon as it is safe to do so, following established building evacuation procedures (see BUILDING EVACUATION).
- Assist others in exiting the building and move to your designate assembly area or 150 feet upwind from the affected building
- Exit using stairways; DO NOT use elevators
- Once outside, do not attempt to rescue people who are inside a collapsed or compromised building unless you have received specific training to do to.
- Keep roads and walkways clear for emergency vehicles
- Wait for further instructions from emergency personnel. Do not re-enter the building until they instruct you to do so