If you are trapped in debris
- Do not light a match
- Move as little as possible so they you do not kick up dust.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a handkerchief or clothing
- Tap on a pipe or wall at regular intervals so that rescuers can hear where you are.
- Use a whistle if one is available
- Shout only as a last resort.
- Shouting can cause you to inhale dangerous amounts of dust
- If a window is available, place an article of clothing (shirt, coat, etc.) outside the window as a marker for rescue crews
- Emergency personnel will check building immediately after a major quake
NOTE: DO NOT USE THE TELEPHONE UNLESS IT IS NECESSARY FOR EMERGENCIES. Heavy use of the telephone will tie up the lines and prevent emergency calls from going out.